Saturday, August 2, 2014

The day my world fell apart: Remembering Paul Lee

It has been almost two months now since that day, the day my world fell apart. Thinking back on it now I realized that I was delusional in my thoughts that it would never happen to me, or to my friends. 

When you wake up and turn on the News and hear about a shooting at some far off school, you feel bad for them ...yes, you hurt for them... yes, but when it happens to your school, your friends, its different. 


I was lucky in the fact that I was not on campus that day, June 5th to be exact. I was supposed to be in class just like every other Thursday. Except this week was different a small and horribly sad event kept me from attending class that day. 

My little puppy only a year and half old, suddenly and unexpectedly passed away just two short days before the shooting on campus. I am by no means a religious person, although I attend a private Christian University. I however believe that some higher being, or some entity was looking out for me and somehow knew that this unspeakable event would take place. 


I believe wholeheartedly that my dog died that day to insure that I would be safe. You are welcome to disagree but nothing in this world, no words, no thoughts can change my mind on this.  

To this day my heart still aches for my friend, I cannot get over how quickly he was ripped away from me, from my life. I had just started to really get to know Paul, and in a single moment in time, some one stole him away from me. I will not post or mention the shooters name, because he deserves no fame and his name should be forgotten.



I still struggle everyday with the loss of my friend, death is not something I am unaccustomed to. I have lost many people in my life, but never has it been friend. 

I wrote this for Paul, just a few days after the shooting....


For Paul:


"Ante Up has become more than a simple dance club, it has become a home, a family, but most importantly a safe haven for us to go in times of need and travesty. Destruction and chaos have waded through our doors this last week. We as a family have stood strong in the wake of losing one of our precious members.

Paul Lee was more than a friend, more than a dancer. He was a mentor, a guidance, and a shining light in the dark. Paul was and will forever be, part of the Family we have learned to become. I cannot express enough the impact that Paul had on my life. Many who knew him, know very well that he would always listen with an open ear and respond with encouraging words. When I needed someone to lean on, There was Paul, a stranger to me at the time, but still he took the time to hear me out. 

I have never in my life met someone who moved through the world with as much grace as Paul did, and I don't think I ever will again.  Ante Up is my Home, and my family and through them I will move on and forward. A piece of my Heart will always belong to Paul.
May you dance with the Angels."



Our Love for Paul remains strong in our Hearts and Minds.

# DANCEFORPAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment